Persimmon Grove AME Church History
According to the best sources available, it was 1882 that a group of men desired a place of worship. They came together on one accord: Mr. Julius Meekins, Mr. Ransom Bass, Mr. Charles Lambert, Mr. Edward Hughs, and Preacher John Tate. Mr. Edward Hughs gave the land located at 421 West. Working together they erected a one room log building. Later, a small white frame was built and the one room log church became a home for Aunt Patsy Mingo.
These families worshiped and shared together the teaching of children, guiding of young adults and training of people in Christian life. The members of the church used kerosene oil lamps and carried water from the home of Mr. Lee Jones, living across Highway 421.
At a later date, Mr. Charles Lambert gave the land for a cemetery joining the church site, which we continue to use today. It is believed the person to be buried in the cemetery was Mrs. McMasters. A cluster of persimmon trees was growing on the site so someone thought it would be a good idea to call Persimmon Grove.
The church was remodeled several times under the administration of several different preachers. The congregation in those days referred to the minister in charge as “Preacher” along with the last name.
In September 1949, a site on Dolley Madison Road was purchased from Mrs Pauline Dennis to build a new church. Under the pastoral leadership of the Trustee Board and Building Communitee, the dedication service was held in the new church on July 13, 1958. We continue to grow, not only in membership, but also in our outreach ministries. We are concerned about senior citizens, youth development, health care, voter rights and participation in government, human world peace, martial relationships, unity of all people and salvation of souls.